Shelter - San Pedro locations

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Shelter - San Pedro locations

Post by crummage on June 18th 2009, 11:41 pm

I was about to do the same research about Shelter locations, then I found your post and loved it! Good job, Bailey! I wish someday I could go up there and visit San Pedro. Walk by those locations and say "Wow, Zach skated that sidewalk!" lol. Anyways, first post on the forum, yay! Very Happy

crummage

Back to top Go down

Post by eric85 on July 12th 2009, 4:54 pm

Just wondering if anyone has been able to identify the restaurant/bar where Zach and Shaun go after surfing and talk as they walk back to the car? In the dialogue, it sounds like "the shack" or maybe even "the crab shack" but I can't be sure. The soundtrack is a bit muddy during that scene. A little later, during the "love montage" the two are shown sitting at a bar which might or might not be the same location. Anyone in the L.A. area know where these scenes were shot?

eric85

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on July 12th 2009, 5:41 pm

It's the Clam Shack, but I have no idea where the actual place is.

Admin
Admin

http://www.trevorwrightonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by baileybrat on July 18th 2009, 2:25 pm

I too would love to know where the Clam Shack is located but since we never get to see the outside, it could have pretty much been filmed anywhere. Doing an interwebby 'business search' does bring up quite a few results in CA, but none of them are in any of the locations we'd associate with the movie. Sad

So, having drawn a blank with that, I decided to have a mosey around for a few of the beach locations used in the movie, most of which were filmed along the Malibu coastline.

First we have the lifeguard shack where Zach and Tori broke-up

which is here:

and not very far from the original spot where Shaun helped Cody with his sandcastle

as can be seen here:

For the completists amongst us (whistles nonchalantly!), the rather beautiful twilight spot we got a glimpse of here:

was actually shot a little further along the coastline at this point:

Another area we get to see is where Zach and Shaun talk after their first surf together - and later have a playful tussle during the BGLM. Wink

I believe that area is here:

To be honest I'm only 90% sure about this spot since it it missing one of the landmarks seen in the movie - an old lifeguard shack, along the beach to the left of Zach. The other features are all present though; the road at the top, the stairs, telegraph poles and fence, and their positioning is consistant with the movie too. So all I can assume is that the shack has either been removed, or maybe the close-up of Zach in which it is seen in the background was actually filmed elsewhere?

Back in San Pedro, the early scene where Zach is talking to Tori while he and Shaun are playing frisbee...

was filmed here (as mentioned earlier in the thread)...

and gave us some rather nice moments to watch too.

Back to top Go down

Post by striver on July 21st 2009, 12:19 am

Amazing work as always, Bailey!! Love that you have helped keep this thread going.... One question... was the 'frisbee beach' shot in the San Pedro area? I assumed it was 'supposed' to be in the Laguna area since they went there from Shawn and Gabe's place and Zach asked Tori 'What are you doing down here?".

Even though we all have been dissecting this movie, it never seems to lose its magic, even upon multiple viewings. Thanks again.

striver

Back to top Go down

Post by baileybrat on July 21st 2009, 7:40 pm

Hi striver, cheers for the compliment. I love you When I first watched the movie, I too assumed the the frisbee beach scene was meant to be at Laguna, but I've now come around to thinking that it probably IS meant to be the beach area at San Pedro. The dialogue is definitely vague enough to be interpreted in more than one way, but personally I tend to think that Zach is just asking Tori why she is 'down at the beach' rather than 'down at Laguna'. Anyhoo, wherever it's meant to be, the scenes were actually shot locally at San Pedro.

There aren't really many locations left in the film to hunt out, but I found a few more, mainly from the opening credits scenes. I didn't bother adding them to the original map since they are all around the vacinity of location No 7; although I did add the beach area as No 11.

Anyway, on his journey home we see Zach skateboarding along a street past some wasteground

which turns out to be South Pacific Avenue ...

He also passes a couple of shops

which are here, again on South Pacific Avenue ...

Across the road from Barbour Court (No 7) Zach skateboards around the corner of a wooden building with some advertising signs on its wall.

which is here ...

and actually means he's just turned around and started going back the way he came! LOL! tongue

Finally, during the BGLM, we see Zach and Shaun happy and content together, tagging a wall

which is in a quiet part of the harbor area here...

I wonder if they also snatched a kiss together in such a secluded place too? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by striver on July 21st 2009, 10:55 pm

Ok Bailey I am totally blown away that you found the spot where Zach tagged the wall with Shawn in the BGLM... Are you sure you weren't on the location crew for the film?! (kidding).

Hey, for some reason I can't find where you posted the beach where the guys went surfing the second time (when they went to that secluded spot that Shaun knew about to avoid the 'fuckin' circus out there!') before they went to the Shack. I thought I remember seeing it on here before, but can't find it now.... Help!

You are right -- not much else is left!

striver

Back to top Go down

Post by baileybrat on July 23rd 2009, 7:01 pm

Hi striver, seems like we're the only two around at the moment. You're right that Shaun's secret surf spot is missing. I never really looked for it before since I assumed it would be too difficult to find, however as it's pretty much the only major location left to find, I thought I'd give it a go...

So, the first stop we see on their car journey is when Zach pulls over to view the surf...

and ends up calling Shaun a pussy - or as you quaintly put it, when Shaun says "It's like a fuckin' circus out there!" Razz

This might have been the first stop along the Pacific Coast Highway in the movie, but it was actually the furthest stop along the road in reality.

We next see the car along this stretch of road...

where Shaun recognises the turn-off to his secret inlet - and I noticed a rather helpful road sign...

that allowed me to pinpoint the area here:

which included the lane to Shaun's secret surf spot...

the rocks they climb down to the beach...

and the cliff-top trail they walk along while talking about Shaun's book.

All of which were filmed around this spot:

Most of the beach scenes were filmed in the same general location of the Pacific Coast Highway as mentioned earlier in the thread so I've updated the map into two parts here:

As you've probably noticed, I've also conjectured that the restaurant just along the coastline might actually be the location used for the Clam Shack. The map overlay function tags the building with a food icon but doesn't give its name. Maybe wizard, Danny or someone else on the west coast can do a recce for us!

Well, that's it. I still can't believe I spent time studying rock formations and outcrops on the Californian coastline - from different angles and heights - just so I could pinpoint where they climb down onto the beach. I'm obviously suffering from Shelter OCD or have gone totally doollally! Embarassed

I'm done!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on July 23rd 2009, 8:43 pm

Well that's not a restaurant... its definitely too small to be anything, maybe a small shack but definitely not like in the movie. I wish I had time to be obsessing over rock formations.

Admin
Admin

http://www.trevorwrightonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by striver on July 23rd 2009, 10:22 pm

Baileybrat - When I saw that you had a new post, I had to smile -- since I knew it'd be something amazing... and you didn't let us down! Thanks for adding in this last site. You need to work for a detective agency!

I really have enjoyed your Shelter OCD for the past few months!!! I think I suffer from it too.... Thanks for making this thread so much fun!
"Cody has a sense of family BECAUSE of me".

striver

Back to top Go down

Post by baileybrat on July 29th 2009, 5:13 pm

Admin wrote:Well that's not a restaurant... its definitely too small to be anything, maybe a small shack but definitely not like in the movie. I wish I had time to be obsessing over rock formations.

Hm yeah, I suppose if I'd thought about it for a bit longer I'd have realised that shack was a bit on the small size. Embarassed There was actually a second location with the food icon on the other side of the road, just off the Mulholland Highway turn off next to the car park... Could that be the Clam Shack?

Of course, the fact that the Shack scenes were the first that Brad filmed might indicate that they were actually shot somewhere closer to San Pedro where the film crew were based?

Back to top Go down

Post by eric85 on September 15th 2009, 10:27 pm

Hey gang, I was in Los Angeles last week and took a day to drive down to San Pedro to scout out as many Shelter locations as I could (Thanks to the location work by BaileyBrat and others). I have some photographs to share but I'm having trouble uploading them. These are jpegs, a bit large but under 1mb. What do I do? I've been using the "Host an Image" option but something doesn't work after that.

Help?

eric85

Back to top Go down

Post by wizard on September 15th 2009, 11:14 pm

Hey there Eric! Well that is good news hahaha!!! Well in order for you to upload your pics, you have to give them to Danny. The creator of this Trevor Wright fan page and forum. So email Danny, and he will mostl likely respond to you tomorrow.
wizard

http://www.youtube.com/wizardistari

Back to top Go down

Post by eric85 on September 15th 2009, 11:19 pm

Will do. Thanks!

eric85

Back to top Go down

Post by wizard on September 15th 2009, 11:22 pm

Your welcome.
wizard

http://www.youtube.com/wizardistari

Back to top Go down

Post by striver on September 21st 2009, 12:34 am

Sounds great eric -- looking forward to this!

striver

Back to top Go down

Post by Lfoster1 on May 5th 2013, 2:59 am

Hey guys (: I've been a fan since last week an have been watching the movie like everyday. Is anyone still here? I really hope so

Lfoster1

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Roman on June 19th 2013, 7:30 am

I'm a Shelter newbie so just jumping in here.
Am an avid film buff and only discovered Shelter earlier this year.  Watched it for the sixth time last night and again overwhelmed me emotionally.  I've had movie obsessions before but not like this in a very long time.
Short and sweet----I am making pilgramage to Pacific Diner this Saturday during visit to LA.  This may be first of who knows.
BTW, I was born in San Pedro and the Vincent Thomas Bridge has always held a dear spot in my heart.
I could go on and on.  Let's grab a quick sesh

Christopher Roman

Back to top Go down

Hey I'm here !!

Post by lucke_France on October 7th 2013, 12:26 pm

Smile Smile 

lucke_France

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down