The Trevor Wright Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shelter - The Novel

+6
striver
eric85
Shelter70
Admin
John H
baileybrat
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shelter - The Novel - Page 2 Empty Re: Shelter - The Novel

Post by eric85 October 13th 2010, 7:13 pm

Guys, this notice recently appeared in Publisher's Weekly, the trade journal for the publishing industry. It could mean another delay -- or worse -- in getting Shelter out as a novel. BTW, Alyson Books is the supposed published of the novel.

"ALYSON BOOKS WILL RESTRUCTURE AS E-BOOK ONLY HOUSE; WEISE LEAVES
Oct 01, 2010

Unable to arrange the sale of Alyson Books, parent company Here Media has announced that it is dropping Alyson’s print book program and plans to restructure as an e-book only publisher. The country’s oldest gay and lesbian house has been in financial trouble for months and publisher Don Weise had been trying to put a group together to acquire the publisher. With the restructuring, however, Weise will leave the company.

John Knoebel, v-p of consumer marketing at Here Media, has been named interim publisher until a new digital publisher can be found. Knoebel said he doesn't expect Alyson to begin publishing e-books for nine to 12 months. "We want to develop a strategy that makes sense," he said, adding that Here Media would like to have the new publisher on board and involved with creating the new business model. The recruitment of a digital publisher "could take some time," Knoebel said.

Over the next few days Alyson will be reaching out to the authors it has under contract and whose books they have not published to give them the option of getting their rights back or moving ahead with Alyson's digital program. "We know authors are working in different circumstances," Knoebel said. "We hope some will stick with us." Alyson has about 24 authors under contract whose books have not yet been released. Alyson has not published new print books since fall 2009.

While Alyson has never released an e-book, Knoebel said other parts of Here Media, specifically Out and Advocate, have done digital products that have been well received. The gay and lesbian community tend to be early adopters of technology, he said, "so we are encouraged that they will take to digital books." Knoebel said one factor in the decision to stop publishing print titles was the closing of many gay bookstores. "There are just fewer places to sell books," he said.

Alyson is the second mid-sized publisher to try an e-book strategy to continue to publish. This summer, Dorchester Publishing dropped its mass market paperback line in exchange for an e-book/print-on-demand approach."

eric85

Back to top Go down

Post by eric85 November 8th 2010, 6:32 pm

Another book update. Just got an email from Amazon that said Shelter (the novel) is now delayed until December 16th. Not looking good folks.

eric85

Back to top Go down

Post by eric85 December 17th 2010, 8:18 pm

I received the following email from Amazon today:

"Hello,

Due to a lack of availability from our suppliers, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

Caleb McCarthy, Jonah Markowitz "Shelter: A Novel"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15935015

We've cancelled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience.

Please visit the product detail pages above to see if these items are available from other sellers.

If you took advantage of a promotional offer when placing this order, this cancellation may affect your order's eligibility for that offer. If this is the case, please contact customer service:

http://www.amazon.com/

If we determine that you should still receive the offer, we'll reimburse you for the value of the promotional discount. (This will not apply if all items in the order were cancelled.)

Your credit card will NOT BE CHARGED for this item because you only pay for items when we ship them to you.

Your order is now closed."

eric85

Back to top Go down

Post by emperoricecream February 24th 2011, 1:02 pm

Hey Guys,

Anybody know the current status of the novelization? Perhaps it will be released as an E-book?? Cheers!

emperoricecream

Back to top Go down

Shelter - The Novel - Page 2 Empty Shelter Novel

Post by CoffeeKay August 21st 2011, 5:36 pm

@baileybrat: Way back in 2009 you mentioned on here you have a script of Shelter. Is that a script as in the actual screenplay or a transcript of the dialogue? Any ideas if the screenplay is available?
I did find the largest part of the dialogue (with some questionable lines here and there) but haven't found a total transcript or screenplay yet.

Have looked through some threads on here and found the solution to a few of the questions I had, but can anyone tell what in the world Gabe says when he walks into the diner (after he scared the *bleep* out of Zach and Shaun by running up the stairs and shouting Baileybrat's signature Wink ) ????????????
All I can hear is "aah eeeh" and thought it may be some kind of reference to "Barbie", as in Santa Barbara, where he just returned from for the weekend.

(By the way, I think Gabe's lines are true gems! So a well chosen signature, Baileybrat! Very Happy )
CoffeeKay
CoffeeKay

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeKay August 22nd 2011, 4:41 pm

Baileybrat,

Got your PM, but am not allowed to send PMs in the first week of membership. Sad Have sent a PM to Admin for help.
Thanks for your offer and hopefully we'll exchange e-mails soon, with the help of the Admin.

Kay x
CoffeeKay
CoffeeKay

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeKay August 26th 2011, 3:31 pm

Got my Shelter DVD today. Very happy to see it on the big screen! But "worst" fear was true, no director's commentary on it. SHOOT!! Seems it's only on the US version.
To any of you in Europe:
Have you seen the version with the commentary? Do you have any idea where I could get it? Would be very thankful for any information on that.

Would be thankful for any help!

(should be able to PM from August 28 onwards)
CoffeeKay
CoffeeKay

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeKay August 29th 2011, 10:27 am

@Baileybrat: please check PMs!
Thanks,
Kay x
CoffeeKay
CoffeeKay

Back to top Go down

Post by eric85 August 29th 2011, 3:46 pm

Hey all!

A number of members, including CoffeeKay, have asked for help interpreting the dialogue in the movie. It's tue that some of it can be hard to understand. So here's someone's attempt to capture each line, with help from other readers, and this may be what CoffeeKay refers to when she says she found most of the Shelter dialogue in online:

http://shelter-diner.livejournal.com/87706.html

You have to listen to a short advert before you can get to the post.

Hope this helps.

Eric

http://shelter-diner.livejournal.com/87706.html

eric85

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeKay September 8th 2011, 2:06 pm

Hey all,

thanks to the help of Baileybrat and eric85 I got to see the commentary version of SHELTER (fabulous to see/hear, but did hope for a few more stories about how scenes came together or actors approached the roles ) and I finally got all the dialogue down.

Great to meet such kindness on here! cheers

Hope you're all still enjoying SHELTER. Well, I am! Very Happy

Kay x
CoffeeKay
CoffeeKay

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeKay October 25th 2011, 6:31 pm

Hey guys,

can anyone help with 1 word Jonah uses in the director's commentary to describe Gabe (in the scene at the Pacific Diner after he barged in on Zach & Shaun at the Laguna house).
He says something like "specaulion" (that's what it sounds like) in "he's so specaulion in that scene". I've looked around in dictionaries, but can't find anything.
The only thing I could find that I could relate to it, was a role by Sean Penn in the 1982 movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" where he plays some surfer dude called Jeff Spicoli. Never saw the movie, or heard of it.
Is that a legendary role Jonah could be referring to?

Would appreciate any comment on that.

Thanks
Kay
CoffeeKay
CoffeeKay

Back to top Go down

Post by silvertron February 24th 2012, 11:11 am

You probably know the answer by now, but yes Jonah is calling Gabe's character Spicolian as a reference to the Jeff Spicoli character from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Spicoli was the ultimate laid back surfer dude.

silvertron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2